Many believe drug addiction relapse is an impulsive decision but it is actually a gradual process with warning signs…
Although drug addiction relapse may be common, rarely does it occur without warning. There are usually significant behaviors that can signal that the recovering person is at high risk for relapse. It is critical for anyone in recovery to understand these warning signs.
Triggers are things that tend to lead addicts back to their drug of choice. A trigger can be a person, a place, certain types of events, or unresolved psychiatric issues, such as depression or anxiety. When a person undergoes addiction treatment, they will help them identify personalized relapse triggers. The most common triggers are old friends who still abuse substances and significant stressors, such as job or relationship problems.
Below are 9 warning signs that an alcoholic or drug addict is in relapse mode:
1. You stop doing what you need to do in order to stay sober. You may stop going to meetings, calling your sponsor and sober supports, and believe you can stay sober on your own self-will.
2. You start romanticizing the days when you were using drugs, remembering only the good times.
3. You start acting the way you did when drinking or using drugs (i.e. selfish or moody, low tolerance).
4. You start thinking that you can have just one drink or one pill. This is one of the most obvious signs of an impending relapse. You believe you can use again without falling back into active addiction.
5. You start seeking out old friends from your drinking or using days. You slowly but surely remove all those elements from your life that keep you anchored and balanced. You stop taking care of your emotional, physical and spiritual health.
6. You are extremely defensive when anyone brings up the changes in your behavior and attitude.
7. You become defensive and begin the pattern of denial you had while drinking or using.
8. You lose interest in hobbies or activities.
9. You stop believing in an addiction recovery program.
For more information on drug addiction relapse and addiction recovery, please contact Revive Detox at (844) 467-3848.