Struggling with an addiction problem? Anyone who’s been on the path to recovery and sobriety will tell you that it’s not an easy journey. There are physical and psychological factors that seem to work against you while undergoing rehabilitation—from uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms to feelings of despair/failure if you happen to relapse.
Drug and alcohol addiction is a far-reaching and multi-faceted condition that not only affects the patient but his/her social circles. This is why the most effective addiction treatments focus on establishing a robust support system of healthcare professionals and caring loved ones.
But for any treatment and recovery plan to be successful, the individual must cultivate inner grit. You need to be willing and ready to do what it takes to kick the addiction to the curb. This calls for a continuous supply of motivation/self-control through the recovery journey. And this is where sobriety quotes come into play.
Read on for more on why sobriety quotes / addiction recovery quotes are more than meaningless words—and some examples of inspiring sobriety quotes worth screenshotting or sharing.
Why Positive Messages and Quotes Matter – It’s Science
Words have power! Whether spoken or written, words can drastically alter how we perceive reality. They crystallize our beliefs and drive our behavior—including inspiring and helping us heal in the case of positive self-affirmation.
According to an article appearing in Psychology Today, “Our thoughts can drive our attitudes, our actions, and our behaviors. We can use this powerful chain reaction for empowerment, achievement, success, and self-actualization.”
Quotes and other valuable phrases empower and imprint positive messages in our subconscious mind. In fact, findings from an American study published in the Journal of Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience highlight “neural processes associated with successful self-affirmation, and further suggest that key pathways may be amplified in conjunction with prospection.”
Another study suggests that positive messages can counter and help reduce people’s tendency to hang onto negative experiences such as the challenges of addiction and withdrawal. Research even goes on to show that meaningful quotes and self-affirmations can promote pro-social behavior, boost well-being, and even improve problem-solving under stress.
The recurring message here is that people struggling with addiction can find solace and encouragement in recovery quotes.
30 Sobriety Quotes/Addiction Quotes to Keep You Going
When things get tough, it helps to find powerful words that resonate with our experiences. The next time you question your abilities or when the urge relapse appears overwhelming, turn to the following addiction quotes to keep you on the path to sobriety.
Whether you’re contemplating sobriety or you’re already on the journey recovery and you’re wary of relapse, there’s an addiction recovery quote for you below:
(Expert Tip: Take some time to reflect on each quote and save you favorite ones for easier accessibility later. Refereeing to them will help replenish your motivation and self-control throughout the recovery journey).
- “Addiction is just a way of trying to get at something else. Something bigger. Call it transcendence if you want, but it’s like a rat in a maze. We all want the same thing. We all have this hole. The thing you want offers relief, but it’s a trap.” – Tess Callahan
- “If you can quit for a day, you can quit for a lifetime.” – Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- “Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking of what we want to become. Sometimes we motivate ourselves by thinking about who we don’t ever want to be again.” – Shane Niemeyer
- “Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
- “People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Neither does bathing. That’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar
- “Sometimes you’ve just got to give yourself what you wish someone else would give you.” – Dr. Phil
- “Your best days are ahead of you. The movie starts when the guy gets sober and puts his life back together; it doesn’t end there.” – Bucky Sinister
- “All the suffering, stress, and addiction comes from not realizing you already are what you are looking for.” – Jon Kabat-Zinn
- “You can come out of the furnace of trouble two ways: if you let it consume you, you come out a cinder; but there is a kind of metal which refuses to be consumed, and comes out a star.” – Jean Church
- “As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world… as in being able to remake ourselves.” – Mahatma Gandhi
- “It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.” – Lou Holtz
- “Fall seven times, stand up eight.” – Japanese proverb
- “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
- “Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself. Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them – every day, begin the task anew.” – Saint Francis de Sales
- “If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else.” – Yogi Berra
- “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.” – Jordan Belfort
- “If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call ‘failure’ is not the falling down, but the staying down.” – Mary Pickford
- “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” – Carl Bard
- “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller,
- “I understood, through rehab, things about creating characters. I understood that creating whole people means knowing where we come from, how we can make a mistake and how we overcome things to make ourselves stronger.” – Samuel L. Jackson
- “The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Remember just because you hit bottom doesn’t mean you have to stay there.” – Robert Downey
- “Every day is a new day. No need to dwell on the past. Look straight ahead.” – Saint Charlotte
- “I really mean when I say my biggest fear in early recovery was that I would never have fun again. The beautiful truth is that recovery has given me freedom and the confidence to go out in the world and leave my own mark.” – Tom Stoddart
- “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.” – Vincent Van Gogh
- “It’s okay to bleed on someone who didn’t cut you. Don’t wait until you’re scarred over to ask for help. Healing starts when the wound is still new.” ― Toni Sorenson
- “Your addiction is not you, but it feels like you because you’ve spent so much intimate time together.” ― Toni Sorenson
- “Recovery Is About Progression Not Perfection.” – Unknown
- “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb
Heal and Recover with the Help of these Sobriety Quotes
Breaking free from the chains of drug and alcohol addiction is not easy—but it’s not impossible either. As someone burdened with addiction, always remember that there are countless others who were in the same state of despair and guilt but they turned their lives around.
These addiction quotes—combined with professional addiction treatment centers such as Revive Detox—can collectively help you overcome addiction. You deserve more than being ‘enslaved’ by an addictive substance.
Remember, “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” Make the decision and initiative to pursue recovery today.
Reach out to Revive Detox at (844) 467-3848 for more on how our tailored detox and treatment services can help improve your well-being and quality of life. We here to promote your holistic and sustainable recovery.